The main objective of the Scholar Victoria Inc. (“our”, “us” or “we”) COVID Protection Policy (“policy”) is to safeguard our coaches, members, and other users who share our training venue. It outlines our commitment to safe practices during the current situation.
2. Brief Summary
The guiding principles for this policy are:
- Don’t come to training for at least 10 days following a positive COVID test
- Use appropriate PPE when not actively fencing, & maintain social distance
- Register your attendance at the venue
- Clean key touch points in the venue after training
All club members are expected to observe these principles and assist where necessary to carry them out.
3. Who Our Policy Applies To
This policy applies to everyone involved in the official activities of our club whether they are in a paid or unpaid/voluntary capacity and including:
- club committee members, administrators and other club officials;
- coaches and assistant coaches and other personnel participating in events and activities, including competition and training sessions;
- support personnel;
- referees, umpires and other officials;
4. Extent of Our Policy
Our policy covers all matters directly related to Scholar Victoria and its official activities.
5. Club Responsibilities
Scholar Victoria Inc. will:
- adopt, implement and comply with this policy;
- ensure that this policy is enforceable;
- publish, distribute and promote this policy and the consequences of any breaches of this policy;
- ensure that a copy of this policy is available or accessible to all people and organisations to whom this policy applies;
- review this policy as the situation changes.
6. Individual Responsibilities
Everyone associated with our club must:
- make themselves aware of the contents of this policy;
- comply with all relevant provisions of this policy, including the standards of behaviour outlined in this policy;
- be responsible and accountable for their behaviour; and
- comply with any decisions and/or measures imposed under this policy.
7. Specific Provisions
7.1 COVIDSAFE Coaching Qualification
Scholar Victoria requires all coaches to have completed the COVIDSAFE Coach qualification which is provided by Coaching Australia via Open Learning. Coaches will follow the materials laid out in this course when running any Scholar Victoria activities or classes. Specifically coaches should:
- Restrict class numbers to a maximum density of one person per 4 square metres, or a maximum class size of 25, whichever is smaller.
- Monitor and maintain all of the policies listed in this document
- Prepare lessons/training spaces and plans in such a way that participants can maintain social distancing of 1.5 metres when not directly engaged in permitted physical activities.
- Adhere to the provisions for COVID restrictions as directed by DHHS Victoria
7.2 Rules for Attendance & Practice
In accordance with instructions provided by Sports Victoria and the Department of Health & Human Services, all participants are required to socially distance themselves before, during, and after training.
- No spectators will be allowed at training sessions/activities.
- Participant numbers are limited to a maximum of 25 or 1 person per 4 square metres (whichever number is smaller).
- Participants are to maintain a distance of greater than 1.5 metres between their own personal equipment when it is not in use (gear bags, gloves, masks etc).
- During practice, participants must maintain a distance of 1.5metres or greater wherever possible except when performing physical activities (contact techniques etc).
- In circumstances where participants are unable to maintain social distancing and are not engaged in physical activity, masks must be worn – participants must have face masks available at all times.
- Before and after class we recommend that participants wash their hands thoroughly or use appropriate hand sanitiser.
- All participants must agree that they do NOT have any flu like symptoms before commencing class – this will be agreed to on sign-in.
- Any member with flu-like symptoms MUST NOT attend classes or events until they have been cleared as not having COVID19.
- Any member who has been in contact with a person who has been confirmed as having COVID19, or has visited one of the areas listed by DHHS as a COVID19 hotspot/infection site MUST NOT attend classes until they have undergone the standard COVID19 testing/quarantine period as directed by DHHS Victoria.
- Following a POSITIVE Covid test students are not to return to training until at least 10 days have passed, and a negative test result has been achieved in the final 72 hours of this period.
7.3 Equipment Usage & Cleaning
Under the current conditions the following provisions apply to club equipment:
- Scholar Victoria Inc. will NOT be allowing participants to borrow or use protective gear that belongs to the club on a per-class basis. The risks of shared masks, gloves, etc. are clear, and the effort involved in cleaning between sessions means that no gear will be loaned to students on a per-class basis.
- Scholar Victoria Inc. may (at their discretion) allow longer-term loan of masks to members who do not own one. Members are expected to maintain the equipment, keep it clean, and return it in good working order. Any broken equipment will be replaced at the member’s own cost, except where that breakage is from normal in-class usage.
- Scholar Victoria Inc. will continue to lend weapons for fencing to members who do not own equipment, however students MUST clean the equipment after use.
Regarding shared personal equipment:
- We do not recommend sharing of personal equipment between members. While performing club activities members may NOT lend masks to other students under any circumstance.
7.4 Use and Care of Facilities
All members of Scholar Victoria Inc. must show due care for the venue. We recognise that the club shares venues with many other sporting groups, as well as members of the public, and we should make the utmost efforts to reduce infection risk where possible.
- Limit their use of bathroom facilities to a single designated stall which is used by all members, to minimise infection risk and cleaning requirements.
- Limit themselves to the use of a single sink for cleaning hands.
- Bring their own drinking water and not use water from the facility.
- Minimise their impact on the venue by keeping their equipment to a single tidy area, and limiting the training area to the minimum required.
- Ensure that they arrive at such a time as to not be waiting in or around the facility for any length of time.
- Ensure that they depart from the facility promptly and do not linger in the venue.
Where facilities do not have dedicated cleaning staff:
- At the end of each session Scholar Victoria members will be expected to help in cleaning using detergent/disinfectant supplies provided by Scholar Victoria Inc. This will include:
- Cleaning surfaces where participant have placed their equipment.
- Cleaning of all touch points; light switches, locks, shared items, and so on
- Cleaning floors in high traffic shared areas.
- Members who use bathroom facilities will be responsible for cleaning those facilities at the end of class. Cleaning materials will be provided by Scholar Victoria Inc. and members are expected to clean the facilities themselves, as well as door handles etc. used when entering/leaving.
Where the facility is located at a school:
- No access to facilities will be allowed within half an hour of the end of the school day, or when a school activity has taken place in the venue. This limits the overlap of facility occupants.
7.5 Recording of Attendance
Scholar Victoria Inc. currently records the attendance of all members who come to classes and events. We currently maintain a register of contact details for all members, and these will be made available for the purposes of contact tracing where required by medical authorities.
7.6 Actions for a Confirmed COVID19 Case
The following provisions are set out for confirmed cases of COVID19:
- All club members/participants are REQUIRED to inform the club if they have been confirmed as having COVID19.
- Scholar Victoria Inc. is to inform the owner of the venue immediately of a COVID19 case so they can undertake their reporting/cleaning protocols.
- Scholar Victoria Inc. is to inform DHHS Victoria immediately of any COVID19 cases.
- Scholar Victoria Inc. is to immediately inform all participants and members who have been in contact with any individual who has been diagnosed with COVID19
- If a confirmed COVID19 case occurs the club will cease training until all contacts have undergone testing and the quarantine period required by DHHS Victoria.
- Once all members have been cleared the club may return to training if permitted to do so by DHHS.
- Reopening of specific venues is under the control of venue owners and DHHS.
7.7 Participant Waiver
The regular participant waiver will be extended to include COVID19 considerations. Particularly that:
- Participants acknowledge they have been informed of the risk of COVID19.
- Participants accept and assume all risks regarding COVID19.
- Neither the Venue nor Scholar Victoria Inc. will be held responsible for infection of a participant with COVID19.
7.8 Breaches of Policy
Breaches to the policy will be investigated and handled in accordance with the disciplinary procedures outlined in the Member Protection Policy, consequences may include exclusion from training and events, or revocation of membership.